We spent the day today by the main pool taking in the sun and the sights. The sights were of course the people....oh, how I love to people watch. My husband, however, does not...therefore, he does not understand nor appreciate my observations so I'll share them here.
1. I swear that show "What not to Wear" would have a plethora of material to choose from at the pool. I am in no way whatsoever a fashionista, but there are a lot of women that wear the absolutely wrong bathing suit for their body (I may be included in this group, but I wouldn't know because I refuse to look in the mirror when I am in a bathing suit!). Surprisingly, there weren't a lot of women that were in bikinis that shouldn't be in bikinis, but there were a lot of young mothers with outstanding bodies in these Mom-mom bathing suits! There were some people in bikinis that should have been strutting their stuff, but they walked with hunched, embarrassed posture.
2. I know I saw a 60 year old man with his mail order asian bride today at the pool. Hubby thought I was being caddy...what's caddy in making that observation? I'd admit if the intent was to be caddy, but it wasn't. This guy, clearly decades older than his companion, was patiently teaching her how to snorkel. She took special interest in my little man which perturbed the old guy to no end....he ended up moving her to another pool to capture her attention once again.
3. People who allow their children to feed the air rats (aka sea gulls) should be subject to water boarding. How freaking annoying it is to be swarmed by a pack of birds when you're trying to relax by the pool?!!!!
4. It doesn't matter how hot it gets outside, kids love a hot tub. The only people utilizing the 2 hot tubs at the resort are those vacationers under the age of 12; all others have had the common sense button installed.
5. I wonder how many years on this earth it will take me to realize my skin's tanning abilities....which is close to none. My skin is worn out, burnt and needs a vacation from the sun!!
We go back to reality tomorrow. I return with mixed emotions...how I loved the relaxation and break from work, but nothing beats sleeping in your own bed!!
Geez, it seems like it has been foreveehhhh since I posted something (which is true). My mind has been blank regarding things to write....nothing has changed, but I finally have some free time because we are on V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N.!!! We are spending 8 days in Duck Key, Florida (which is about 2 hours south of Miami and 1 hour north of Key West). I have been without internet access for days now and have snuck off to the pool under the guise of taking the girls for a swim so I could sneak on facebook (really farm town...my new addiction) and check in on my google reads. How pitiful am I....here I am in "paradise" and I am going through internet withdrawals!!! Oh well, there are worse things to be addicted to!!
The resort we are staying at is called Hawks Cay; it's a great resort with 3 pools, a lagoon, a dolphin research facility, spa, etc...etc...etc... We found a great deal through fladirect.com - we landed this vacation at about 50% off what the resort's website advertises. As soon as we got here, we discovered we were in what was considered a "value villa" (isn't that an oxymoron?) which just means it's not the "preferred villa" that has been recently remodeled with granite kitchen counters and 42" plasma tvs...Oh I think I can survive this travesty!!
I enlisted my anal-retentive, list making husband to jot down a sample itinerary which I know for most people isn't a good plan for a relaxing vacation. But if it were left up to me and my procrastination tendencies, we would be staring at each other each morning wondering what we were going to do that day.
So far, we spent Father's day at the lagoon pool under a palm umbrella being waited on by my new friend, Adam. Monday, the girls and I went snorkeling at Sombrero Reef. Cameron tried it and didn't like it (in her defense, the water was very choppy). Emmy didn't want to go in the first place, but after being pulled around on a see-through raft, she decided to give snorkeling a try and she loved it...she wanted to stay in longer than I did! We spent Tuesday at the Pirate ship pool and trying to escape incoming storms. As the storms were still threatening today, we decided to head to Key West for the day. We spent the day on Duvall Street and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Intermixed with a lot of the local art galleries are cheesy t-shirt stores and bars. I can't really say what I thought it would be like, but this wasn't it. Tomorrow, the girls and Daddy are going Kayaking. Friday, we have a dolphin encounter, and Saturday, we're renting a boat for the day. I'm shocked that it's already Wednesday.....vacations always go way too fast!!!