Monday, February 2, 2009

I think I need to go back to baby food...

So I haven't lamented about my ongoing weight loss struggles for a long time now. Why? well for one...I can get a little obsessive about the whole weight loss subject and two, that obsession can fall very easily into "stinkin' thinkin' " which I am really good at; especially if it's aimed at me!!

So here's a quick update...I re-joined weight watchers and dropped about 13 pounds in 6 weeks and then the holidays came and I fell off the bandwagon...like a lot of people. I finally drug myself back to a meeting in January (which was a definite challenge; I prefer to avoid the obvious and not "face the music"! I officially gained back the 7 lbs that is the national average for weight gain over the holidays...not unexpected. Well, for the last couple weeks I have been very successful in gaining back every ounce, but that last pound.

My biggest problems are:
1)bad food choices
2)eating way too much of said bad food choices
3)not exercising.

So I decided to take baby steps and not be too hard on myself (which is VERY difficult). I set a small goal this week to "track" my food intake every day; something which I am absolutely horrible at...What I discovered was that the "good" food choices I thought I was making are not so good. For example, I had 1/2 sandwich and a cup of soup today...doesn't sound bad right? Well the soup I chose was Crisper's Kickin Crab soup...it didn't seem cream-based to me, but it must be...because it was a whopping 12.5 points (to put the point thing into perspective, I am allowed 26 points a day). That's right a CUP of soup took up all most 1/2 my points allowance!! Not to mention the fact that I threw in a sandwich on top of the whole thing...another 8 points.
20.5 points for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I shared in previous posts that my (previous) fav go to meal was a burrito bol at Chipotle which = 56 points!!! After I started on WW in Sept, I thought I would scale back a bit...cut out cheese, sour cream down to 18 points...18 points people!...that's the bare minimum that I can stand to cut out. So now I just avoid Mexican as much as possible, because obviously I can't control myself!

I'm thinking that I'm completely off when it comes to determining what's really good for you and what isn't. I am really tempted to follow one of the Weight Watcher's daily meal suggestions - even though it's difficult to get any interest in their bland meal plans. So I'm thinking may be I should go back to square one and start eating baby food...how can I go wrong with strained peas, carrots, pears, etc....May be they have a strained chicken nachos option now?!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Ugh. Its so hard to get un-motivated (is that a word?...) when it comes to weight-loss and exercise. At least, it is for me.

I say kudos to you for even doing something about it! Baby steps, girl. You can do it.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Heehee! I enjoyed your post because it rang true for me too. I am teetering on the weight scale and it is truly sickening! It should not be so hard but it is!

Ronda's Rants said...

I am struggling here...I also am hurting from Pilates...I haven't lost any weight but my daughter did say my butt looks smaller! So sad that that made me happy!
I love the look of the blog!

Jill said...

Good luck with your weight loss... eating healthy is one great step in the right direction.

My aunt had a lot of trouble with her weight, and the only center that worked for her was Lindora. Once she took complete accountability for what went into her mouth, that was it. She's so far lost about 40 pounds and looks amazing.

Jen said...

isn't that why its called a weight loss battle?

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly I think I have the same problem. I have no idea what is good for me and what is not. I mostly eat processed foods because I'm in a hurry...and no, none of those are good. I have no idea what I'm doing...

Angie's Spot said...

I know this won't make you feel better about your situation but check this out. Since Christmas week, hubby & I have managed to polish off 4 gallons of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Hubby hasn't gained an ounce. I've put on 12 lbs. Where is the justice in that?

I'm trying really hard to lose 8lbs this month but if I can't cut down my sugar intake then I'm doomed for failure. Sigh.

I'll try to help motivate you in my comments and hope that it motivates me too! We can do this!

P.S. Did I mention that I'm coming back to Orlando in August? THIS time we need to get together! :-)

Elizabeth said...

I joined WW last Labor Day weekend. Yesterday at weigh in, I was .2 away from my first goal of losing 10%. It's taken me FREAKING five months to lose 20 pounds! But I had a diagnosis and three holidays in there to deal with. Now I'm recommitting and going to try and get that stupid 10% goal and then hit my final goal too.
Good luck to you! I'm right there with you!