Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Countdown to College Football

Guess how many updates I've received in the last couple days from my husband regarding when College football starts? I've heard, "The Gators report for practice on such and such a day", "Only 28 more days until the first game of the Season", "Georgia is ranked #1 in preseason rankings" - so many updates, they're too numerous to even count. The man is excited! I have nothing against college football, in fact, I enjoy it greatly...I just can't believe that football is starting again which means school starts in Eeek! 2 weeks, Fall is just around the corner...and get this, the holidays are a mere 4 months away! I digress (I tend to do that!)...
I was never interested in college football until I met my husband. As I've stated in previous posts, I grew up in Delaware. Sure, Delaware has football, but my family and friends were never into going to games or watching games on t.v. (I don't even know if they were broadcasted). When I went off to college, I chose a small college in Virginia...so small that they did not have a football team. The homecoming game was a soccer game! So I never experienced the whole Saturday tailgating, going to the game, fanaticism, etc.
I need to clarify when I started to become interested in College football, because as stated my husband is a great fan, I however, didn't become interested until I experienced the phenomenon which is College football in the South. Southerners love them some college football! (now, I know there are other regions in the country which are just as college football crazy, but the South is what I've experienced).
So after I moved to Florida the brainwashing slowly took hold...I am now officially apart of the Gator Nation. I wear University of Florida colors on the weekend, I pass strangers with the same colors and we exchange the "Go Gators" greeting. I experienced my first live game about 5 or 6 years ago; that's when I was done...The energy, noise, excitement of a live game at The Swamp! I was hooked...I even looked into how I could become a Bull Gator...I abandoned that idea when I discovered it costs $10,000 a year and that doesn't include or guarantee seats and/or tailgating parking, etc, etc. (Believe me, if I had that extra money lying around...it would be going into the University of Florida coffers!).
So I am off to look for some new blog bling...some that will allow me to represent during the season. But before I sign off, one more thing....Go Gators!

6 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

My husband is counting down also!!! I love going to Tuscaloosa to see Alabama play football!

Roll Tide!!!!

Jennifer said...

Well I have zero interest in college football--but I have one husband and 3 boys that are OBSESSED w/ it--especially USC. Here we go again!!

Lori said...

25 days till the season opener! Hooray for not having to hike to Jordan Hare 8 months pregnant! WAR EAGLE!!

Angie's Spot said...

Tremendous college football fans here! But, my allegiance lies with the Big Orange. We can still be friends, right?! :-)

Trooper Thorn said...

College Football is my favorite sport to watch hands down, more than NFL, baseball, my beloved Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL or even hockey (and I'm Canadian - gasp!) I select all the games in each conference to watch when the schedules come out and then plot how the viewing changes as the upsets come in.

So Go Gators, screw up the BCS rankings. Make it an awesome season for us up North!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I tune out most sports. This one included. Except to wear my husband's Georgia Tech stuff. Or my own Bulldog stuff. Can you believe that the ONLY Georgia game I went to in college was against Vanderbilt?!

And did you know that you are the most prolific blogger out there. I think I am caught up...and then I am three behind again :-) You need bling about that!