Monday, August 11, 2008

Picture Day

I got a call from Sears a couple days ago...it seems they are tracking my kid's "important milestones" via my Smile Savers account...I'm informed we are due for our 2 year pictures and do I want to schedule an appointment (internally I feel guilty if I don't schedule these appointments like I don't want to "capture those special moments"; what do I care if the Sears' associate thinks badly of me?!). So I schedule an appointment (I.am.a.robot). I feel bad because Jackson is my only boy and he's the 3rd so like all kids that aren't the first, the "professional" photos are lacking; however, I realized today I was totally bamboozled...Jackson doesn't even turn 2 until the end of September - Sucka!

In preparation of the big appointment, Jack needed to get a haircut...he is looonnng overdue...his previous spiky haircut has grown out over his ears. So not only do I have to get him presentable for pictures that will "last a lifetime", but I have to get the kid's hair cut.

So the big day arrives (not that I was counting down to the day, in fact, I forgot about it until my reminder call - bad Mommy!). I wake up on the late side (I'm a night owl and would love, love, love it if I could sleep in til 11 am each day, but I dream on...) and realize there is no way I'm going to make my appointment in time. So I push back the appointment (I still don't believe Sears even has an appointment book because regardless if there's an appointment on the books or not, I wait 1/2 hour). I get Jack dressed and jump in the car with Jack and Mommy's little helper, Xanax Cameron. We head over to the posh salon (Great Clips) in a nearby strip mall and wait in line for a $9 haircut. This was Jack's 3rd haircut, previous haircuts have been no problem, but not today, oh no, not today. As soon as the cape goes on, Jack starts screaming...no amount of Mommy comforting would help (and I forgot the &&$%$ binky in the car). Cameron was sent to fetch the miracle apparatus binky and the haircut continued semi-successfully with whimpering.

We arrive at Sears, wait our 1/2 hour and the photo session begins...Trying to get a 23 month old, sleepy baby to pose is like herding cats! But we got some cute shots.

Now it's time for the package discussion, you know the ones...the best value is $350.00 and you get four million pictures that you end up putting the majority of the pictures away because you forget to give them to people...and the cheap package is $125.00 and you only get 200 pictures. So me being the cheap frugal Mommy I am, I have a plan. Me to the associate: "What is the current smile savers package?" Associate to me, "A free 8x10". My response..."Okay, I'll take the 8x10 and a CD ROM of all the photos in the session". Then the associate tells me the CD ROM is $120.00 - Whaaat?! I stutter, "$120.00?! I've gotten the CD before and I know I didn't pay $120.00 for it" (If I did, I need to get a lobotomy!). She replied curtly, "Well, you must have had a special coupon for it". So I changed plans...I got the free 8x10 and a collage picture...the pictures weren't that great!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, kid two has had one pic taken and it was one with all the family in it. I did Sears once with baby 1. And Woah! That cheap package sure did cost me three arms and a leg (it's super hard getting around these days ;)

Shannon said...

Same thing here... took daughter #1 to sears at every milestone (one month, 2 months, 4, months, 6,8,10, 12,15,18, and 24 months... seriously). Then daughter #2 comes along and I think we have pics of her at 3 months, 8 months, 10 months and one year.

I'm going to get so much crap about this later in life, aren't I? Daughter #2: "You don't love me! She's your favorite, not me!!"

Jill said...

What the heck? People seriously pay that much money for photos? At Sears? Glad you didn't pay for the CD - what a rip off!

Jennifer said...

I have spent insane amounts of money on professional photography! I seriously think they might be brainwashing me when "package discussion" time starts.

Me (In trance-like zombie voice): "I'll take the Deluxe Extra-Expensive Platinum Package."

$500 later I have 10 million pictures that I put in a drawer.

You were very strong to ward off the brainwashers!!!

And--I want to see the pics!!

Jen said...

Oh, I here you. My family is begging for the triplets 1 year old pictures (they are almost 14 months now). I keep telling every one to wait until Christmas. I have to pick up my mom's jaw from the floor b/c she doesn't want to wait that long. But come on there are 3 of them, do you know how difficult this is especially since they can walk and I am trying to kill 2 birds with on stone. Beside, if you want to see their picture just look at the blog.
(Man, I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent.)

Lori said...

Ewwww, did the Sears thing with my eldest. Lots of portraits of him. Shortly after my 2nd was born I discovered digital photography [cue harps & angels singing], and I may not have nearly as many portraits of her, but I have WAY more snapshots.

#3 is just my pet baby. I'm never going to buy him shoes or send him to school, he's just going to be my pet baby forever, so no issues there.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

They're thieves, I swear. I like my crappy digi pics better most of the time, anyway.
Thanks for stopping by my bloggy home, I've been forewarned and I'm waiting for your return! ;o)

JWilson said...

Ok I've never been to a sears around here but I can't see them being that expensive when the JCPenney's I go to gives you about 100 pictures for $120.00. Thats just a rip off! No way does a CD cost that much.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Holy Moly! $120.00 for a CD - what a rip off!!! Ugh! Thanks for the reminder that we have to get our family pic taken soon! But I am losing weight first!!!

Rhea said...

I've never really done the professional photos much because between me and my mother, we take a million photos of my boys, most better than the studio. :o)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love the pictures that I take of the girls. And lots of them are frame worthy. But if you are even a smidge willing to pay that kind of money for Sears (are you kidding?!), you should contact a photographer who will come to you. And do it at your house, your yard...and you will love the results!

Cassie said...

Hey my son's name is Jackson too :) I'm feeling a little guilty too b/c I wanted to get professional pictures done each month for his first year, and haven't gotten any done yet. Oh well, I take pics of him every! single! day! so I guess he won't feel too unloved if I don't get them done.

Unknown said...

I left you postscript notes on my book post to answer your questions :)

Angie's Spot said...

I am an obsessive photo monster, so I do have the "milestone" pics of both my girls, miraculously. However, they dance a merry jig when they see me coming everytime, because I'm the sucker that buys the 4,293 picture package and then gives out 3.