Monday, September 1, 2008

Cameron is 10!!!

09/01/08

My oldest, Cameron turned 10 today...I can't believe I have a child that is now double digits and that I've been a Mom for a decade!!!



I've seen this done on other blogs (though I can not recall the specific ones now) and I am borrowing the idea (so if it was yours, thanks!!)

Dear Cameron,

I can't believe my Bug is 10!!! It seems like it was just yesterday when I was pregnant with you and anxiously awaiting your arrival. I remember your first day on this earth so vividly; I think I spent most of the day just looking you over and letting it sink in that you actually belonged to me. I remember crying like my heart was being pulled out of my chest when the doctors told me that you had to stay in the nursery because you were jaundiced and needed to be under the bili-lights. I hadn't been without you near me for 9 months!! I started crying again when they told me that I would be sent home without you; I think I was actually hysterical because they worked it out so I could be with you! (To all my bloggy buddies who have been through so much more during and after childbirth...all, I can say is HORMONES!!!)

Your first year was a blur!! Between figuring out the nursing, my work schedule/your daycare schedule and how to be a parent...I think I barely stumbled through...Then you were walking, talking, becoming more and more in dependant. Where did my little baby go? Who was this little girl expressing her opinions through fits and actions? Daddy was working shift work at the time so it was just Mommy and Cameron most of the time. We traveled to Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington, Missouri, Kansas, and cruised to the Bahamas (remember that Tree?!) We went out to girl's nights, play dates, and to story time; the only time you weren't by my side was when I was at work.

You became a big sister when you were 3 1/2 and until Emmy was old enough to take your stuff, you really loved having your own real baby doll. You were such a big help to me; you would go run and get binkies, burp clothes, toys, diapers, etc. I was always waiting for you to tell me, "No, it's not my baby", but you never once complained. I know that being the oldest is stressful especially to someone with such a sensitive heart, but you are a great role model for your sister (most days ;)

School has always been a treat for you...you love making new friends (you tend to be a little too social) and learning new things. If you don't understand a concept, you tend to freak out a little. Daddy seems to be better at explaining things to you and you're able to calm down and understand. You were born on the youngest cut off date for school. I was born the same time of year and I always recalled being happy to be starting school around my birthday and being exactly the right age for my school year. So I did the same for you. Over the years, there have been many times I've doubted my decision...You performed well in academics, but there were a lot of things you could have dealt with better if you had another year of maturity under your belt.

You became a big sister again at 8. You are a wonderful, nurturing big sister to Jackson. You would do anything for him (much to his dismay) and truly love him. Even though your name took the longest for him to say (which bothered the snot out of you), every time he says your name now, you start to glow. I can't imagine him ever falling out of favor with you..you truly have a wonderful relationship!

Cameron, you're my first baby...before you I wasn't a Mom. I love watching you experience new things, new people, and new experiences. I wish I could shield you from the growing pains that accompanies growing up, but I know that would do much more harm than good. I know our relationship is starting to change...you're trying to find your way and become more independent. There are a lot of times I would like to poke your eyes out or wash your mouth out with soap because you always need to have the last word. But I know that I am raising a special young girl (I hear only good things when you sleep over other's homes or eat dinner at their homes) one who is creative, artistic, dramatic, beautiful, good, and one of the lights of my life. Happy Birthday, Lady Bug!!

Love with all my heart and soul,

Mommy

12 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Awww! That was so sweet! And special! That almost made me tear up - that is a wonderful thing to have to show her & tell her.
Happy Birthday Cameron!!!!

Anonymous said...

*sniffle*! So sweet ;)

Happy Birthday Cameron!!

Jen said...

Aw, so sweet. Happy Birthday. She looks so beautiful in her picture.

JWilson said...

That was so sweet, and she is beautiful.

Sara said...

So sweet! She will love it when she's all grown up!

Frizzy said...

Happy Birthday! Such a beautiful letter to her. I know she'll cherish it now and forever. I'm all teary eyed.

Sweetsheila said...

Ok, I'm literally sobbing at my desk! Thanks Kelly!

Anonymous said...

Soooo sweet! Happy Birthday, Cameron! (A day late...) Love that gorgeous pic!

Jill said...

Ok, I must be PMS'ing because I totally cried during your letter.

Happy 10th birthday!

Amazing how time flies...

Shannon said...

Awwww, Kelly! What a sweet post and letter to your birthday girl!

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet post to your little Bug!!! She'll cherish that forever!!!!

Angie's Spot said...

Adorable! Happy belated bday Cameron!