Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Weigh-in Wednesday


I've made some more changes this week...After much debating with myself, I decided to withdraw from the WW study at UCF. After 3 months, I am still at my beginning weight...yup, I gained the 9 lbs back when I lost my Mojo 6 weeks ago...


I don't know how much I previously described the study set up, so I'll give a little background info. There are 2 study groups; group 1 was assigned to a modified points system and group 2 was assigned to try the new program. I was assigned to group 1 and can only report on that group 'cause the differences between the two groups were never discussed with the study participants. However, the group 2 people kept talking about foods from the green and blue groups, etc (my guess is WW is improving their CORE program...). Anyway, the modified points program allowed almost double the points per day; however, the foods "cost" more points (although, not double what they are with the "mainstream" WW program). So initially, I thought it's all a game in perception...46 points a day seems a lot better than 27 points a day!! As time went on, I observed that the people participating in group 2 seemed to be losing weight a lot faster and with greater numbers than those of us in group 1. So my working hypothesis (this is what I call it, you may call it paranoia, denial, etc.) is that group 1 is the control group (i.e. the plan really wasn't going to be effective in losing a lot of weight, but maintaining your current weight) and group 2 is the true test group...


So I quit...I figured 3 months was enough, I wasn't going to give another 3 months to stay where I am...so I re-joined "main stream" WW. I went to my first meeting Monday night and am starting from square one (READ: I have to lose 45 lbs!!!). I have gotten very used to having those 46 points a day though. I was down to 4 points remaining for the day by the time lunch was over :( !!


Jack and I have been continuing to take 2 mile walks 3 times a week and I've been a "theme-park weekend warrior" for the last 2 weekends...I figured I walked miles on those days!!


So I am officially "Back in the saddle again"...I'm going to be attending Monday meetings, but still be reporting in on Wednesdays to participate with the ladies over at OSB...Be sure to check it out if you haven't gotten the chance!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a woman with a plan! You go girl!
:-)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

good for you! And it's not like you really dropped out. You just changed your game plan. Sort of. While I squander away my time by eating a 12 pound bag of peanut m&ms in a week. I hope it really wasn't that much. Maybe more like 5. 5 ounces? Crap...

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you! I agree with Kat though, you didn't really quit...you're still in the program! Good for you! ;)
To bad we live thousands of miles away...I'd walk with you.

Unknown said...

You didn't quit, you transferred attentions.

Jen said...

Good for you. You can do it!
That sounded like a silly study any way, good choice.

Sue Wilkey said...

Hey- I am queen of the Game Plan Change. Right now it's Atkins and it's working so I'm happy. :)

Hippie Family... said...

good for you, I usually have some oreos before jumping back on the wagon.. seems to make me feel like I am not losing out.. maybe that's how I fall off so easy.. I just roll....................

Jo-Jo said...

I need your will power

Lori said...

O.K. look, I'm already jealous of your boobs. If you turn into a super-skinny model with boobs, I might have to come choke you. ;P

Rela Pantaleon said...

That's a lot of walking...is that your weekly regimen (or at least you'd like to?)?

My husband and I have been doing a lot of walking lately, too. And it feels great!

Keep it up, Kelly!

Angie's Spot said...

WTG, Kelly! It sounds like this change might be just what the dr ordered. And it's good that you've gotten all that walking in. Woo hoo!! Can't wait to see what great results you get to report next week. :-)

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog Monday...being saucy was a lot of fun!!

Great job!!

Ashley said...

Wow! Sounds interesting but I'd be out, too, if that's how it works. WW is a good program. Good Luck!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a great plan Kelly! I don't blame you for stopping the study--I'm sure your new plan will get great results. Wishing you lots of luck!

Meanwhile, I've never felt fatter in my life! I haven't worked out in 3 weeks and I can feel it!!

CaraBee said...

I lost my mojo about a month ago and haven't been walking since. I feel like such a slob but I just can't seem to get myself out there. I need a kick in the butt. Good for you for going to WW!

Shannon said...

Good for you... I may have said this before, but I think in order for your weight-loss plan to be a success, you've got to enjoy whatever it is you are doing. Like I know I could never never never do Atkins... I love carbs way too much to give them up. I'd be miserable and quit after one or two days. Then I'd beat myself up about it and think why bother losing weight, cause nothing works. Well, that's how my mind works anyway!

So keep it up... have a great week and lets see what next week brings ya!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Good luck! It sounds like the right decision for you.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! (I am trying to sound like Rob Schneider in an Adam Sandler movie)...either way...
YOU CAN DO IT!