Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cameron's Birthday (Part Deux)

So as you saw in my previous post, my oldest, Cameron, turned 10 on 09/01/08. She really, really, really wanted to have a slumber party so we gave in. She was only allowed to have a total of 6 girls including herself...We ended up with 4 total due to a last minute cancellation...this was fine by me...easier number of 10/11 year olds to manage plus I always like having an even number...no one gets left out (or the odds that it will occur are less in my mind).

The girls arrived at 5 pm and went into Cameron's room to look through her stuff and just giggle (at least that's what it sounded like ;) After they finished that activity, they got into the pool and started having a funniest jump contest, relay races, chicken fights, and other water contests. I think they had a good time.




Then it was pizza, cake, and present time...We had no idea how many pizzas to get...we figured, it's a sleep over, they'll eat so we ordered 7 pizzas...Needless to say, I have 4 pizzas left over!! The sugar kicked in and the girls got a little crazy with the cake...the little darlings started smearing each other with icing...this was quickly stopped before things became airborne!!! The girls continued to be goofy with the gift opening...tissue paper and confetti all.over.the.place!!!




It was time for a quite activity...so they began to make party t-shirts. I set them loose with permanent fabric markers and white t-shirts...the creations were cute and the girls calmed down (a little!)

The girls then took FOREVER to decide what movie to watch; it finally took a democratic vote and the winner was: Hair Spray. A couple of the girls had seen the movie before so all of a sudden song and dance would break out in the living room. The girls decided their goal was to stay up until at least 12:13 am as this was the time Cameron was born (in all actuality, they fell asleep at 2:00...but that's another story). At 12:13, the girls proceeded to have a pillow fight and start screeching Happy Birthday. Cute, but way too loud at midnight with a baby and Daddy already sleeping. I called it a night about 12:30; there was about 15 minutes left in the movie and the girls had instructions to turn off the t.v. and get to sleep after it was over.




I was woken up at 1:15 by Cameron telling me one of the girls was upset and crying. I got up and one of the girls just wanted her Mom; she wouldn't tell me what was wrong so I told her she could call her Mom and speak with her. She tried her Mom, but there was no answer. Her Mom calls back about 10 minutes later and the girl got on the phone and left the room. She brought the phone back to me and told me that her Mom wanted to talk to me. The Mom asked me what was going on and I explained to her what I knew. She said, "I thought they wouldn't be up past midnight!" I kinda stuttered and explained how the night ended. In a tight voice, the Mom asked to speak with her daughter again; the little girl decided she did want to go home. So her Mom shows up 10 minutes later and I told her that I had told her daughter that if it was just that she wanted to be with her Mom and be in her own bed, she could come back in the morning to play until the party was over. The Mom curtly answered, "Well I think she'll be sleeping in tomorrow!" Yikes!! Okay, as a Mom, if I send my kid over to a sleep over, it's kinda expected that they will not be falling asleep at a decent hour...This same Mom called and left a curt message on my answering machine that her daughter had left a shirt and towel at our house and she would appreciate it if I could return those items to her daughter tomorrow. I wanted to call her back and say, "oh you mean the shirt that got smeared with icing after your daughter started an icing fight in my house?!" But I just ignored the message and her kid will get her stuff back tomorrow - stupid Wenchbag!

I think Cameron had a good time...at least that's what she and the pictures tell me.

22 comments:

JWilson said...

Well up until the part with the nasty mom the party sounded great. You are a bigger person than me becasue I would have told that mom off. Really have either her or her daughter been to a sleepover before? There is no bedtime!

Hippie Family... said...

What a B... At my 4th grade bd party I stepped on my cousins nose and she was bleeding all over and nicer than that...
hope the rest ofthe girls had a super great time... what was for breakfast? that was always my favorite part of birthday parties.. we had the best breakfasts..

Unknown said...

Give me her number... I will tell the mom off!

I had a mom get mad at me at Dane's birthday because the make up lady put wax in his hair.... He wasn't allowed to play at our house for over a month...
What EVEr

Anonymous said...

OH, I love you, Kelly! Yeah, she was a stupid Wenchbag!!!

Hope all the other girls had fun...it certainly sounds like it and they look like they are in those pictures! You guys are lucky ducks to have your own pool!!!

Shannon said...

Yes, the pics show the girls had a great time! What fun!

And you're right... what a wenchbag! Sheesh, its a sleepover for crying out loud. Its a given that those at a sleepover are not going to go to bed at a decent hour!

Lori said...

Congratulations on surviving the sleepover! I can tell that your house is "THE house", the cool one where all the girls will want to hang out.

BTW, Cameron is just gorgeous.

Shannon said...

I've been thinking... what would this mom say about me? I've let my girls sleep over at friends' houses and I know its midnight or even 1 am before they went to bed. And they are only 5 and 7! HA!

Frizzy said...

There is something more going on in that family. Keep her in your prayers no matter how hurtful she was/may be. What matters for now is that they had fun and that's what will be remembered. She's gorgeous and so happy.

Jen said...

Oh I remember that age. All those pictures brought back such memories. I remember when I turned 10, I thought that I was such hot stuff and SO cool. I was double digits and really old.

Ok, that mom needs to lighten up. I am with you, when I someday send one of my kids to a slumber party, I will do so knowing that there will be very little, if any, sleep.

I am glad that Cameron had fun. That is really what is important.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

That is so strange. What planet are they from that they think being up till 1ish at a slumber party was late??!

I am trying to convince both of my girls to not do slumber parties this year. We'll see how that works out.

Oh, and you need to go to my blog - look under labels for my posts from St. George. My daughter's friend Diana looks JUST like your daughter.

Jennifer said...

It looks like a great party!! I know some moms that get all weird about sleepovers and how late kids stay up--I always expect them to stay up super late. Who cares!?!

Sorry that mom was a jerk. Why did the girl want to go home anyway?

Happy Birthday to Cameron!!!!

Jen said...

What a wonderful party for Cameron! It looks like the girls all had a wonderful time & other than the crazy mom, who thinks that 4 girls would be in bed by midnight, it sounds like things went rather well! Glad she had such a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Guess she won't be coming to any more parties at your house! Looks like the other girls had fun though.

Robin said...

Hey, thanks for all the bloggy love you left on my blog..It meant a lot. :-)

The party sounded like loads of fun. I hate dealing with those strict anal moms. Don't they know to let their kids live a little when they go to a sleepover? Those kids always tend to be miserable..

Swirl Girl said...

My daughter is turning 9 this week. I am in deep doo-doo.

Sara said...

Hey- if it makes you feel any better, when I was in 6th grade, I too had a slumber party at my house, and one of the girls there jumped up out of her sleeping bag, put up her fists, and asked me if I wanted to make somethin of it! I can't even remember why she did it, but girls are silly at that age. Although, it sounds like the mom is even sillier..

Cant Hardly Wait said...

Thanks for crossing your fingers, it worked! you must practice.

Looks like the party was fun... I totally remember going to birthday overnight parties. Someone ALWAYS ended up crying. Never failed, haha.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

It sounds like a great party. Sorry that one mom was a witch. Just be thankful that you don't have a stick up your butt like she does!

lisa said...

Ok Now I want a slumber party!

Sounds like they had a lot of fun. Miss those days.

Jill said...

Lighten the f' up Francis. Sleepovers are all about messes, giggly girls, and late night antics.

Even my 5 year old is allowed some leeway...

I would have told her what she could do with her curt comments.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! It looked like they were having fun :)
I can't believe the other mother though. If I'm letting my kid go to a sleepover I'd just be happy if they ever fell asleep! I've had a friend as a kid who cried and her mom came to get her at like 2 am. Her mom kept apologizing to my mom for the inconvenience of having woken up our house!
Geesh. I don't know how I would have handled that woman's 'niceness'.

Angie's Spot said...

Sounds like the girls had a blast! Despite the crazy mom who needs to get a grip. Sleepovers = staying up VERY late. Clearly, she must have been sheltered as a kid.