Monday, September 22, 2008

Save Lori's House


I stumbled upon this story perusing through my daily blog reading. It's a heart wrenching story; if you all could post this on your side bar, blog about it to spread the word, pray, or donate, it would be fabulous.

(copied from savelorishouse.com)

Lori is a single mom battling ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and chronic Lyme disease. She faces the loss of her home to foreclosure within days because she's too sick to work. She has medical bills totaling more than $50,000, which may ultimately reach $120,000. Ironically, earlier this summer an essay Lori wrote about her young son Jack coming to terms with the idea of death was finally published in the Washington Post. Though the essay was written well before Lori was diagnosed, or even knew that she was ill, there's a bittersweet sense of urgency in her writing that adds a poignant postscript to the piece. In her essay, Lori struggled to reassure her son that she'll always be there to protect him. "I tell him I'll always be here for him, one way or another. Always always always. Just like my mother is here for me. Just like I was there when he was 3. It is an impossible promise, a gamble with his trust. I secretly pray I don't let him down, not on this."

As a freelance writer Lori has published more than 3,000 articles for local, regional and national publications. She copy-edited Michigan's most controversial son Michael Moore’s book
Dude, Where’s My Country? and helped launch his Traverse City Film Festival.
In September 2007 Lori mysteriously lost the ability to move her feet. The paralysis later spread to her legs and arms. Lori is now confined to a hospital bed and is dependent upon a Bi-Pap breathing machine. Lori is only 44, and she is determined to fight this disease and we're determined to help her do it in any way possible.
Help Lori keep her promise to her son. Help Lori keep her home and ensure that Jack has the security of a roof over his head, even when his mother is too sick to sleep there with him.


I've worked in Neurology for over 12 years and have seen first-hand the devastating effects of ALS. One of the doctors that used to be at our practice would come out after a possible ALS consult and state, "Well, he/she fits the criteria....he's/she's a nice person". This disease affects young people and the fight can be over in 3-7 years. Please do what you can....


Go here to copy the html code for the picture ( I can't figure out how to copy it without it turning into the picture...):


Save Lori's House

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh... that is so sad... I will get it copied over as soon as I am home for work... is there donation info on her site? Guess I will go on over & look...

Angie's Spot said...

How sad. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Hippie Family... said...

oh my gosh.. I need to go look at this more (when I am not at work cough cough!) check out our new contest @ zoososilly.. maybe she can be your friend... hint hint.. :D

Jen said...

what a story.

Shannon said...

This is so sad... thanks for sharing. I will go check it out...

Jennifer said...

OMG how awful. I will *attempt* to copy the cade--wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing, Kelly. Lets us all put things into perspective, doesn't it.

Frizzy said...

I'm all over it. Thank you for bringing her to my/our attention.

Ronda's Rants said...

Thanks for sharing Kelly...I want to hug all those who I love because really that's all that there is!!! My heart goes out to her!

Scary Mommy said...

That is so sad-- off to read more...